Thursday, December 01, 2011

Ollie the Elf (on a Shelf)

I know it's been a while since I've blogged, but I'd like to keep track of this fun adventure, so I'll be posting updates.  :)  Ethan and I recently read about the idea of an "Elf on the Shelf".  I have heard friends talk about doing it with their families as well.  The idea is one that kind of takes the place of an advent calendar.  An elf comes to live in your house on December first and stays until Christmas giving regular updates to Santa about your behavior to make sure you get on the right list.  :)  Well, I loved this idea.  The idea of something/someone watching over you wanting you to be your best.  I love it on the real and tangible level and I love it on the bigger, philosophical level as well.  I wanted to do "Elf on the Shelf" with my family, but was finding it difficult to wrap my head around because of many reasons.  First of all, we've never really done the "Santa" think with Ethan.  My house did believe in Santa growing up and Sam's didn't and we just kind of went with no Santa for Ethan.  Not for any religious reasons, we just didn't play the part.  I'm not against Santa, it just hasn't become a tradition in our home.

So, I decided to go ahead with the elf on the shelf idea but to tweak it a bit to fit our family and maybe lean even a little more towards the philosophical "be a better person" ideal than the "22 more days until presents" side.  So....I went online and got a few ideas and bought us an elf.  Just today (Dec. 1st!).  :)  So....already off to a different start.   I bought the "C" version because I love his checkered pants.  I also bought 2 in case something happens to the first one. :)  He is about 9"-11" tall and has wire in his arms and legs so he can be manipulated to do all kinds of things during the night while we are asleep.  :)

Then, I named him Ollie and wrote a letter to Ethan on his behalf with my left hand letting him know that he was coming to stay until Christmas and would be letting Santa know if Ethan should be on the Nice list or the Naughty list.  Then Ollie told Ethan that he needed to stay in the North Pole (aka Prescott, Arizona) for a few more days to finish up a few things, but that he would be down sometime next week to stay and he would be coming to check in daily until then.  Here's the letter from Day one. "Ethan, My name is Ollie and I am your elf.  I was sent by Santa to watch you until Christmas to make sure you can be on the nice list.  I am to live at your house and report back to Santa each night after you're asleep.  I checked in today and saw you had fun with Vanessa.  I can't come to stay yet because Santa has some things for me to do before I can leave.  I will be checking in each day and should be at your house in a few days to stay until Christmas.  Until then, watch for my letters every day and know that I'm checking in on you.  Behave yourself.  See you soon, Ollie the Elf."

Ethan was CRAZY when he found it in the Christmas tree.  He knows about "Elf on a Shelf" and wondered if maybe we got one this year!?  :)  He was going around the house looking to make sure that Ollie hadn't left anything else.  He asked about every ornament that he hadn't put on the tree to be sure that it was originally ours.  :)  He is so very excited.  So, I asked Ethan if maybe he wanted to ask Ollie just a couple questions and see if he would write back.  I also suggested that maybe we should let Ollie know that we already know the secret about how me and dad are really Santa so he knows that we already know.  Ethan loved the idea and between the two of us, we came up with this letter back to Ollie that is currently on the tree waiting to be found by Ollie tomorrow when he comes to check in.  :)

"Dear Ollie, are you an 'elf on the shelf'?  Did you leave us something or just the note?  Hope to see you soon, travel safe.  Ethan.  PS.  Will we actually SEE you when you do finally get here?  Thanks.
Here is a picture for you (found at the bottom...it's Ollie and Ethan....fast friends).  PS.  from mom: Ethan already knows that Santa isn't real.  Do you really live in the North Pole or were you just saying that in case Ethan still believed in the pretend Santa like other kids?  When will you let me know about Ethan's behavior?"

I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.  :)  I think our Elf on the Shelf will suggest things that we could do together as well and leave the occasional something fun.  :)  We'll see what kind of personality Ollie gains over time.  This is going to be fun times.  I'm not sure what else Ollie will say or information he will give, but I'm hoping to create an elf that knows the real reason for Christmas and brings that part of Advent to our house as well.  I can tell you one thing.....I think he will get very bored at night and probably do some pretty funny and maybe even naughty things while we are fast asleep.  :)

For now, goodnight.

1 comment:

Susie said...

I love this! I can't wait to follow Ollie and Ethan's adventures. How fun!