Sunday, October 23, 2011

JC Woodworks opens

Yesterday was the Grand Opening of our new venture!  I'm going to try and explain the coming about of this business without writing an entire book.  :)

About a year and a half ago (or more), Sam and I started talking about him leaving his current employment and started up a business of his own.  I got to do what I love every day and Sam did too, but he had horrible bosses who didn't treat him well and he didn't receive any appreciation, respect, or basic human courtesies.  As we talked more and more about it, it became clear that we would be taking the two builders from the woodshop with us as they were ready to leave for some of the same reasons.  We started to look at the realities of leaving and it got a little scarier.  Sam took a wonderful business class from a local non-profit and put together a business plan that would map out how this was all to take place.  we looked for a building, the tools, and the money all while Sam and his partners continued to work at their soon-to-be old employment.  We found a GREAT building!  It had been on the market for just over a year and they owners owned it outright and were really motivated to sell.  We all decided that purchasing a building in the first year of a business might not be a great idea, so we decided to lease the building for the first year with the option to purchase it at the end of that year.  The old PPG building was in descent shape if we were going to be an automotive store, but in order to turn it into a cabinet and furniture showroom, it would need a lot of work!

The "showroom" used to be an automotive paint store.  Painted white pegboard, dropped acoustical tile ceiling, shop lights, shelving.
This photo was taken from the back right side of of the building looking diagonally to the front left corner.


*Before*





Here is almost the same angle of the "during" photos.  Ceiling torn out, no walls or trim or doorways yet, but it's starting to take shape.

*During*







I don't have a great "after" shot, so I'll go down and take some today and update this post once I have them.  :)

It was hard work for the guys and took a couple of weeks, but the acoustical tile was pulled out exposing a beam ceiling, which looked great by itself.  The painted white peg board was pulled off exposing brick, which the guys sanded down and turned BEAUTIFUL!

  Here is another angle:  *before*
*during*










So, we got the showroom started on the remodel and it turned out gorgeous.  I will load some after pictures today.  The guys got started on the shop and the building of a demo kitchen for the show room.

They built a beautiful kitchen out of rustic cherry including lots of fun accessories.  :)

Once we had some furniture, a functional shop, and a decent showroom, people starting hearing about us.  They starting coming in for bids for kitchens and furniture. 






Well, yesterday was our grand opening.  All of our hopes and dreams are tied into the business and the day the shop is already an up-and-running cash-flowing business!  I think La Grande will love our services, love our guys, and love our products!  I am so very proud of my hubby and the Crist boys for their dedication and vision.  It's been a tough couple of months of preparation with a lot of work required, but we ended up with a beautiful showroom, a wonderful shop, and a successful grand opening! 

More pictures to come....

No comments: