Friday, January 28, 2011

Travels

I have been a lot of places. In high school, I had the opportunity to travel with a choir around western Europe. I saw the Eiffel tower and toured inside the Louvre. I rode a bike and milked cows with my host family in Holland and played in the French Alps. It was an amazing experience and one I will never forget. In college, we went on a trip to London, England with the a group of theatre students to celebrate a professor's retirement. We saw something like 14 shows in 10 days. We spent a day in the British Museum and rode on the "Tube". We minded the gap and enjoyed every minute! When we got married, we were able to go to Mexico for our honeymoon. Wonderful! Then we traveled to Ecuador with our choir. We met the indigenous people of Planchaloma and worked with about 100 children that showed up to meet us and say hello. We played in the ocean in Manta in the middle of the night with only a few jellyfish stings. We were stranded in the jungle due to a transit strike and we sat in the highest hot springs in the country and danced the night away in Otavolo. I have been around to see a little bit of the world and I hope to see all of it as life continues. We just renewed our passports so we can travel to a ski vacation in Canada at the end of this month. I am so looking forward to it! I've never been to Big White and it's been a LONG time since I have been to a large ski resort of any kind and I'm pretty sure I have never seen the likes of Big White. I want to explore more of south and central America, take a trip to New Zealand and I'd LOVE to visit Japan!

Yes, I have been a lot of places already for someone who is only 32, but the picture I have chosen for today's blog is of a US National Park in Southern Utah. Our family tries to make a trip to southern Utah every year during spring break if we can make it. We hike, bike, explore, camp and see what we can see. It's amazing how much one can find right out our own back doors if we are willing to take the time to explore it. I am very glad I have had the opportunity to travel outside our country many times. It has helped me to avoid the ethnocentric attitudes of people who never leave our borders. However, there are so many wonderful things to see right here in the good ol' USA in addition to what the rest of the world has to offer. I hope to make my son's life an exciting one full of 2-week road trips and flights to tour our nations historical places back east. I hope to visit down south and see how different life can be just outside the northwest. (then I want to put him on a plane and take him with us to Japan!) :)

No comments: