I didn't really have a superhero that I fell in love with growing up. If you ask my mom, she'll tell you about the time I showed off my new Wonder Woman underwear to the missionaries who had come over for dinner when I was around 5, but I think Wonder Woman might have been my mom's superhero.
So, I came back to the only superheros I heard ALL about growing up with my brothers. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. They are, in fact, on the superhero list (although so is the duck....). My brother's LOVED the TMNT! They played with the figurines, watched the movies, dressed up like them, and always made me be April. While I am not very fond of April (I have no patience for silly humans in Superhero stories...they're annoying), I did like the turtles! I like that they live on pizza (not so much with the anchovies), don't shoot guns, get along well as siblings (for the most part), and always get the bad guy. I love them for the respect and love they have and show for their leader and father figure, Splinter. This respect for their elder and their mentor is really missing in a lot of other superhero stories. The others are more like "lone rangers". Superman didn't have a mentor. Neither did Batman or Spiderman. They tended to took things into their own hands. The turtles actually showed love and respect to their mentor every day. I liked that part a lot!
My favorite turtle used to be Raphael. I mostly liked him as a kid because he had the red eye mask and red was my color code. We bonded over that. But, he's a little too dark and brooding at times. He is hot tempered and quick to his emotions. Much like me. But the one I like the most is Donatello. He's the one with the staff for a weapon and the blue eye mask.

Donatello is the thinker. He is smart and known as the brains of the TMNT. He can fight like nobody's business, but if given the option, he'd much rather talk about a peaceful solution than fight. :) He's quite a Mr. Fix-it and likes to invent things and ponder. I even vaguely remember that I'm pretty sure he listens to classical music. :) No wonder I like him. :)
Donatello is by far my favorite of the TMNT and they are my favorite superheros. Growing up and still today....
No comments:
Post a Comment