Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A little ranting does a body good.

A Day in the Life...

Ok, so, for all my family who reads this blog, please don't just automatically assume this is about you....unless it is. :)

I just got a call this evening and I don't understand why people complain so much. I don't think my family understands how hard I have worked to put this family reunion together. I looked and looked and looked for an appropriate place and found a palace that actually fit grandma and grandpa's budget and actually was available! Amazing! Then, I started all the stressful stuff of arranging for reserving the house, arranging for payment of the house, signing my name to a lease on the house, filling out paperwork and more paperwork on rules and regulations and info "about us" kind of paperwork. then came the part where I actually had to tell my family about it and so I put a lot of time into a nice family letter and called around kingdom come looking for people's updated address to make sure that everyone got the news on what was going on. Then came the part where I have to try to take 23 people and put them all into 5 bedrooms. Yeah, try that and make it work. It doesn't unless I piss people off because here's the deal!!!: No one gets a private room! We have families who need acommadated, grandparents who need accommodated and I'm sorry, but in my humble opinion, everyone else can fend for themselves! I got a call tonight (I know, I already said that) about someone specifically requesting one of the entertainment rooms as a sleeping room. All I could say was that there were 10,650 square feet in the house and there were going to be at least 3 air beds that I knew of. Anyone who didn't contact me about whether or not they were coming or would need a bed or when they would be there, I didn't worry about. I put a first come-first served policy on everyone else with the exception of grandma and grandpa. I just don't get where people get off complaining about a free weeks vacation in northern Idaho. The people who never contacted me to say they were coming are also not having to host a dinner. the rest of us are putting out money to feed the other 23 people one night of the week to make sure that there is food for dinner and help offset the cost. But no, some people apparently are excused from that and then they want their own room. Sorry, this is not a romantic getaway. If I have to share a room with my brother and his wife (yes, Ross and Kari, I love you, but let's face it, we'd all rather have our own rooms, huh?), then people who didn't do anything to plan this reunion or make any effort to be a part of the planning or even let me know they were coming until after I had everything already planned out are just out of luck. There will be plenty of room for all! I just don't want to have to worry about it anymore! If I didn't want the reunion to happen so badly, I would have given up or not taken it on in the first place, but I am looking forward to seeing everyone. I just hope I don't have to do much in the way of coordinator once I get there. Ok, I feel much better now! :) I really am looking forward to the trip and I am very grateful that everyone is coming, but it's been a lot of work making sure that everyone has everything then need and calling me two days before I leave when I am stressed about work and construction and packing myself and my family to complain about the fact that people don't have their own rooms, that's just not cool.

Here's to hoping all goes well...

Jme

2 comments:

mollie baum said...

jamie! you always works so hard! i bet your fam doesn't give you a bouquet of flowers like jeff and i did for planning our trip, huh? ok, maybe that isn't making you feel better. i hope you are still having a wonderful time. i miss you guys so much. i wish i could live on 2.50 and hour. :(
love you-pants

jmee2 said...

Acutally Mollie, they did when I got there! :) It was pretty sweet!

Don't worry, you'll always be our preferred nanny! :)

Jme