Wednesday, December 14, 2011

My good friend SBW


I wanted to take a minute this morning and write about my friend Sarahbeth.  We went out for lunch yesterday and talked, laughed until we cried, and enjoyed some wonderful conversation (and the food was TO DIE for!) and catching up.  I told her that I had been bragging about her a couple days previous and was actually a little bit shocked to find that she was really quite surprised by the idea.  She couldn't understand why I would brag about her.  Sarahbeth was in an accident and burned over 50% of her body about 3 1/2 years ago.  After 36? surgeries, Sarahbeth has good days and bad days, but she's more than just a survivor, she's a fighter.  I thought it interesting that SB would find it strange that I would brag about her.  The more I thought about it, the more I thought that a lot of people probably only see the strong, awesome, rockstar SB and don't know all the reasons she really is incredible....other than surviving her trauma.  I thought I would share some.

1) Funny as hell.  She WILL make you laugh until you cry!  and sometimes it's ever so subtle...you don't even know it's coming!
2) Open.  She doesn't hide much.  She's open about her scars, her healing process, her feelings, her emotions, how she feels about the friendship you share with her, all her dreams and passions.  That is a rare find in a friend these days.  We are all so filtered.
3) Honest.  SB doesn't sugar-coat things.  She tells how it is.  Don't get me wrong, she's super nice, but she also has an honesty about her that is refreshing.  It's one of the things I love most of all.  She'll tell you her honest opinions and feelings.  She is also honest about her feelings and that is also rare.
4) Talented.  Before the accident, SB did many things.  She was a musician, a swimmer, an actress...her dream is to be back in that life someday and she's doing the dedicated hard work it will take her to get there.  Those talents were not burned in the fire.  She spends her time these days crafting, playing piano and singing, and doing what she can from the comfort of her home in the body she has right now and every month, that body gets more and more cooperative.
5) Dedicated.  She is dedicated!  Dedicated to her healing, dedicated to her friends, dedicated to her recovery.  I have rarely seen such focus in anyone else I know.
6) The best fan EVER!  If you ever have a fan club, you want my friend SBW to head it up!  She has never missed an episode of Criminal Minds (not even re-runs) and I have seen her get up before the sun to watch Rafa play tennis.  I doubt she has missed a match.  However, there is no comparison to her love and support for Jack White.  :)  The man of her dreams!  :)
7) Brave.  This is where I will put all the awesome rock-star SB things that the fire has brought out in her.  She is just about the bravest person I know.  She experiences fear and lots of it, but she doesn't let fear stand in her way.  She goes in for surgery after surgery knowing that her body doesn't heal the way it should.  Knowing that she is a "hard stick" for nurses and difficult to intubate. Yet, she goes in and lets Dr. Garrett work his magic in spite of her fears.  I think that is the definition of brave.


I really could go on and on, but mostly I wanted to record some of the feelings I have for my friend Sarahbeth and let the world know that I think she's incredible and I consider myself very lucky to be her friend!  If anyone reading this blog wants to get to know Sarahbeth, CLICK HERE to read her blog.  You can also find her on facebook.  She's a great friend...everyone should have one like her.  :)

3 comments:

Sarah Beth Watterson said...

OMG talk about making me cry from the very beginning, and by very beginning, I mean by the time I read the title I was starting to cry . And I cried the whole way through, often having to pause to wipe the tears from my eyes cause I couldn't read it! That was such a wonderful read. thank you for taking the time to write such incredible things about me and for everyone to read. thank you. You made my day. I love you so much. <3

Unknown said...

ALL these wonderful things are true about our friend Sarabeth! Thanks for putting them into words.

Susie said...

Jamie, this is such a great gift to give your friend. I find it so sad that we don't share our admiration of our loved ones more often. Good for you and good for Sarahbeth. You are both rockstars!