Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Day 15 of my blog challenge: My biggest success in life....

I have been very lucky AND blessed to have a lot of success in my life. At least, I think of them as successes. I have a great house, a great job, a wonderful kid, and I live in a quaint town that loves me. I graduated from high school and college and have everything I wanted from life (so far).

If I had to nail down my BIGGEST success in my life so far, I think it would be my marriage. 11.5 years ago, I married my high school sweetheart. We had been dating off and on at that point (mostly on) for about 5 years. He asked me to dance on December 3rd at the high school dance and it was love from then on.

The world was pretty much out to get us from the start. His family was full of devout Pentecostals and mine were as LDS as you could find. Everyone warned us not to even date. We enjoyed each others company, made each other laugh and had a good deal in common. There is a lot of story behind the process of what followed, but suffice it to say that neither one of us are currently either of those denominations. We were bound and determined to be together no matter what as we knew that we were two halves of one whole. We got married and finished college. We had WONDERFUL adventures and a lot of learning to do together. I had to learn not to be linked so very tightly to my other family and Sam had to learn how to become his own person instead of what everyone always wanted him to be. We traveled together and spent time getting to know one another. We were married for 5 years before deciding to have our little guy.

My grandparents have been happily married 61.5 years. My other set of grandparents were married exactly 50 years (to the day) before my grandpa passed. Otherwise, divorce can be found all over my family. My mother married 2 times before finding her 3rd and final husband and friend. I didn't have a lot of great examples on what marriage should be. I saw a lot of fighting, but not much making up. I didn't see a lot of communication, but I knew it would be important in a relationship.

In our marriage, I feel we have both worked very hard (sometimes harder than others) to make sure to communicate, understand each other, and work together for the same goal. It hasn't always been easy. We both have our faults and our "pet peeves", but we love each other.

I feel like my biggest success in life is my marriage. Without my husband, I wouldn't have any of the successes mentioned above. None of them. He has truly been my rock and my shoulder and without him, I don't know where I would be, but it wouldn't be where I am today. He is my true love.

No comments: