So, the last concert I went to was New Kids on the Block when I was a kid. Sam and I saw Blues Traveler play in the park in Boise when we lived there and and I have been to a lot of opera, musical theatre, and recitals in the mean time, but not any concerts.
My brother Ross called me about a week ago and asked if Sam and I wanted to go to the Gorge to see Jack Johnson with him and his wonderful girlfriend, Katie. Of course we do! :) I arranged for Ethan to be well taken care of while enjoying a camping trip with his best friend Nola and Sam and I headed out. We got to Ross and Katie's house yesterday fairly early and hung out with them drinking cups of coffee and talking and laughing.
We went out to lunch at the Ice Harbor Brew Pub at the marina in Kennewick *(Delicious!)* We had great food, beer and conversation. Then we headed to George, Washington, home of The Gorge Amphitheatre. It was amazing! It holds 25,000 people and I think we were easily at 1/2 or 3/4 capacity last night. That is a lot of people in one place!!
We had general seating tickets so we found a decent spot on the grassy hill where we couldn't see very well, but we would be out of the heat of the sun and were as close as we thought we could get. Then we moved a little closer and figured we would just look through the chain link as we watched. Then someone actually went down to the very front and asked how much those VIP tickets would have been. We were told that all seating for Jack Johnson was general seating and that we were welcome to sit anywhere by the boxes. So....we were right up front!!! We saw everything and heard everything and it was an incredible show! Jack Johnson and his crew were preceded by G.Love and he was preceded by an up-and-coming Malaysian singer/songwriter Zee Avi. I loved it all! What a wonderful experience! I was glad to have had a big lunch as hot dogs were $6. :) What great music! I don't know when I have seen that many people in one place. Maybe the last Mariner's game I attended. However, getting out of the parking lot and on the road after a Mariner's game is relatively easy compared to what we had to do to get out of the field of parking in George, Washington. It's a major venue that holds major shows during their season, but it's still in the middle of no-where and with the exception of a turn lane for a section fo time, it's a 2 lane road in and out of the parking areas to the highway/freeway connections. It was funny to listen to everyone getting into the parking lot and honking their car alarms to find where they had parked. It was a sea of cars and a sea of people and a few frisbee games. :)
What a great experience! Ross and Katie spoiled us by allowing us the opportunity to go!! It was incredible and an experience I won't soon forget! Thank you, Ross and Katie! oh...and Jack. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment