Friday, May 14, 2010

The meanings of words and numbers....

The hours in my days that are spent with my son have been filled with answers (and sometimes no answers) to fun, interesting and sometimes difficult questions.

Mama, what does 'before' mean?
Mama, what is 'tomorrow'? When is 'last night'?
Mama, how many is 66? Is 98 bigger than a hundred?
Mama, how big is a five and a 0? 50? Is that a dollar? Half a dollar!!!? Like, you just tear your one dollar like this and you have 50?
Mama, when will it be summer?
Mama, how do you know what to eat?
Mama, how do worms hear?
Mama, how does our oven make things so hot?
Mama, what do flowers eat?
Mama, will you always be my mom?
Mama, what does night time mean?
Mama, are dinosaurs real? I mean...I know they are dead, but are they real?
Mama, why can't we see the moon when it's behind a cloud?
Mama, why do some people sing good and some people sing bad?
Mama, what makes it night time?

It's been fun and interesting to have a 5 year old. I've taken an idea from a Kindermusik blog (that I actually re-posted on my own Kindermusik blog) to make a list of questions to explore the answer to. We have made piles of skittles to see "how big" numbers are and compare them to other numbered piles of skittles. We have planted flowers, picked flowers, dug up flowers. We have looked online at constellations and talked about space. We have talked about our bodies and nutrition. I was reminded today by a friend on facebook about what I said the time Ethan wanted to know where he came from. I said he came from my belly. He knows about pregnancy, but he was only like 3 and I didn't want to have THAT conversation, so I told him he was a present for me from his daddy. I told him he was the best present I had ever gotten and ever would get. If I remember correctly at the time he made some comment about a quest to find a "better" present. :)

Being a Mama is awesome!

1 comment:

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I didn't know you had a blog! Great post! It was awesome to visit with you at LEGO Club yesterday. Hope you have a wonderful weekend :)